Symptoms of plant poisoning in horses and donkeys:
First of all, if you have ANY reason to believe your equine has been poisoned, call your vet immediately giving as much information as possible, however trivial it may seem. Whilst some poisons are not aggressive, and can be treated, others are very aggressive and, if treatable at all, are extremely time sensitive.
Symptoms cover a huge range and can sometimes be contradictory:
Frothing at the mouth or regurgitation
Usually animals know which plants are poisonous and avoid them but young animals experiment with unknown plants and hungry animals tend to eat whatever there is, even against their natural instincts. Some plants, like ragwort become sweeter and more palatable when cut and dried and may then be eaten, even when ignored when fresh or standing in a growing state.
Worldwide the list of poisonous plants is considerable but some of the most commonly found are listed below:
|Yew - taxus species (perhaps the deadliest of them all)|
Anemone (all species)
Green Potato sprouts
Horse Radish leaves and flowering shoots Laburnum
Links to helpful websites: